Sunday 20 January 2013

Research Question...

          In chapter 4, Luker discusses the essential nature of a research question, and furthermore the importance of framing it properly. I like the idea of finding that particular research question that perfectly captures my interest AND "advances the state of play in one or more intellectual conversations going on in some part of the scholarly world" (52). For me the hardest part thus far has been actually coming up with that research question (guess I'm still stuck in chapter 3). The sort of academic and personal resonance that Luker stresses in this discovery of a research question seems super daunting when my interests flutter from topic to topic. On the plus side I appreciate the fact that Luker is making me a lot more aware of the whole research process and taking me through step by step. Are any of you as intimidated as I am about the whole research question undertaking? Has anyone come up with a solid research question yet?

          In chapter 5 Luker talks about reviewing the literature which basically just goes through how one should go about tracking down sources once he/she dedicates him/herself to a research question. I especially like the tips she includes in this chapter that really come off as a friend telling you exactly what she did and didn't do so that you'll hopefully take that advice and use it to your own benefit.Tips like keeping a search log, and creating your own index seem so obvious, but no one actually tells you to do so, saving you both time and energy. In this chapter I think Luker is so helpful in molding an efficient researcher above anything. The venn daisy (81) for example, is an interesting tool for exploring different aspects of your topic and seeing where they connect when you eventually do the research and aim for specificity.


Luker, K. (2010). Salsa dancing into the social sciences: Research in an age of info-glut. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press

1 comment:

  1. Answer: YES! Formulating a research question is very difficult. Though, I've lately found it helpful (and less intimidating!) to think of formulating a question as an iterative process, and the question itself as continuously evolving over the course of a research project.

    ReplyDelete