Thursday 7 March 2013

Measuring the external and internal perspective

Luker (2008), Chapter 8, has underscored to me that participant observation and interviews are like two sides of the same coin. Luker refers to participant observation as the study of practices, while interviews provide the research with what the subjects think happened. One is external and the other internal. This offers a nice opportunity to compare and contrast the two.

These two methods (or variations on them) will be central to my research proposal, which will look at how people react to, both physically (external practices) and emotionally (internal responses).

The question now is how to realistically operationalize (am I using this in the right way?) the project. I feel like I might have bitten off too much to chew.

Bibliography
Luker, K. (2008). Salsa dancing into the Social Sciences. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

- Nick Anapliotis

No comments:

Post a Comment